Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Deflowered at the Surf Expo September 2008

No, I didn’t have sex in the Reef booth, or the Body Glove booth or even the Lucy Love booth, but man, I love the action sports industry! Attending for the first time, I expected the bikini models, throngs of t-shirt and baggy shorts wearing groms and reps, but what I didn’t expect is the proportion of the event. The booths were big as hell, the excitement was palpable, the skate ramp was an acre and the Skull Candy concert could be heard throughout the Expo.

Talking with Aaron from Eastern Skate Supply and Eastern Surf Supply, who’ve been exhibiting at the show for 20 years, I was really excited to hear that business is still good. I attend other conferences and the economy always comes up and is used as a way to lower the standards of expectations. Not this show! Mood at Quiksilver, “Great show!” WRV, “Killin’ it!” Allyance, “Buyers are there!” ESS, “Business is really strong!” And the list goes on and on.

I’m sure I stood out as the only person wearing a button-down shirt, but that’s me. When I’m not surfing or at home, it’s business. There is real money being committed in our services and I take that seriously. So while it was really a great time, I look forward to the next show in January. At least here in Fla. we can wear shorts in the winter!

No comments: